Saturday, December 15, 2007

Christmas Songs

In order to see a very funny advert go to http://www.irn-bru.co.uk/snowman/index.html

This is the IRN BRU's parody of the well known Snowman Christmas story involving various scenes from around Scotland.

Words include:

We're walking in the air
I'm sipping on an Irn Bru
My chilly snowman mate said that he would like some too
I tell him get your own
He looks like he is going to cry
I tell him one gain that the IRN BRU is mine
Now I am falling through the ait
I wonder where I'm going to land
He knicked my IRN BRU
And let go of my hand!

The humour and joy in this comes from the fact that:

Something enjoyably familiar becomes delightfully unexpected

Something sweetly sentimental is made wonderfully, humanely, realistic

Someone smugly up is brought embarrassingly down

This song will be in my Christmas top ten along with the Magnificat the lyrics of which I will preach on tomorrow.. Luke 1:46-56

This song includes the words:

52He has brought down rulers from their thrones
but has lifted up the humble. 53He has filled the hungry with good things
but has sent the rich away empty.

The joy, soul joy of this song too comes from its unexpected, human, reversal of all things.

Aye as a singer Mary has the X factor!

1 comment:

Kayla S said...

Great reading your ppost