Friday, March 09, 2007

Passion alone is not enough

It can be hard to follow Jesus, primarily because I think he takes us to places that are outside our comfort zones. Sure I'm happy to go to the wedding feast with all that good wine, but the lepers house, the dusty roads, the garden of Gethsemane, I'm not so sure I want to go to any of these places!

Sam Wells in his book Power and Passion, reminds us that to follow Jesus faithfully requires more than just passion.

"Passion alone is not enough. Not just because other things are required but because passionate commitment is often made up of the kind of tendencies that we see so clearly in Peter - an assumption that one is superior to others, a profound but misplaced confidence in one's own dependability, and a sense that one knows better than Jesus"

A prayer - Jesus I want to follow you passionately but not in an arrogant I know best way. Help me to follow, to walk humbly with you with loving kindness as you empower and doing justice as you one my eyes to how you see reality. Amen

No comments: